Wednesday 9 July 2008

Kenya Calvary Chapel.

Sunday was the 21st anniversary of the main church we have been with in Dandora, Nairobi. People came from Mombasa and even Tanzania to be at the event. I was sent to another church that day and it proved to be the right thing at the right time.
The church is run by bishop Moses who also does mission work in South Africa. He has been driving us round the city all week and I looked forward to visiting the church. Moses is an exuberant pentecostal preacher/evangelist and the church song service was lively.
I didn't even start writing the notes for this sermon until late the previous evening but felt very inspired. I preached on the power of unity, how we are to look after others in the church and a number of other things. It must have gone well because I carried on a long time and the people were still very attentive. I looked at bishop Moses and asked if he wanted me to wrap things up. He was intent on me continuing as long as it took. {The sermon lasted nearly two hours!}

The response afterwards was great. I offered to pray with those who wanted to see prodigals come back to the church and many were touched by the message and requested prayer for loved ones and so the post service prayer ministry went on for a long time as well. Moses told me that the people usually start leaving of their own accord if the service goes beyond One O clock but they all staying. He told me that the message related to the main issue of the church and many were deeply moved. This certainly wasn't down to any talent on my part but was down to the message God gave me.

This seems to be the norm here. I've come with prepared messages but am preparing sermons at the last minute which turns out to deal with the main issue of the church I preach at next. We eventually got to Dandora at around 5:00pm. The event was in it's last hour. It didn't matter as we had such a good service at Calvary Chapel.

There are too many prayer requests to mention but generally I would like you to pray for all who requested prayer at that church and that they would see loved ones come back to the Lord.

God bless you...Steve

No comments: