Friday 6 April 2018

Dark night, bright day.

It was an awful night. I settled in early enough and thought I would get up early and prepare the days teaching as I wasn't being picked up until 11am. Then the coughing started. It was if something was stuck in my throat needed clearing but nothing was there and I ended up having numerous coughing fits. It drove me to distraction. I don't know what time I actually fell asleep but when I woke up it was 10.45 in the morning. I had no breakfast or time to shave or shower (bad deal in 35° heat and humid nights) and hurried out with a basic outline of notes and no prayer time. Seriously horrible.
In light of all that it was amazing how well the day turned out. My voice was not great but I kept the coughing under control. I took the first minute of my first session to invite God into it and it went so well. I chose a few things to share including how to see failure differently. This had a big effect on a number of pastors and others. There seemed to be a fear of failure that held people back from trying things and therefore learning. The second big impact was with my translator who is a pastor of a church around 20 miles away. I had shared some basic points about discipleship that I'd only begun to learn in the last year or two. It turns out that this man has a big heart for raising up evangelists but was so frustrated at the lack of results over a number of years. We had the chance to talk at length later and eat together which I felt was not enough time and it turns out that it is this same guy whose church I will be speaking at next week for a few nights. I thank God for ordering my steps.
We finished the day with a short evening meeting and, with no notes at all, I found the text that I sensed God wanted to share. Again it went particularly well.
I'm told that many of the pastors have not heard this kind of teaching before and they are encouraged because its understandable, practical and something that they can implement.
So by the grace of God it was a very good and productive day. My voice is even a little better. I'm just praying for a better night.
Tomorrow is the final day of this section before our Sunday services and then move to Mombasa town on Monday.

No comments: